adsense

Monday, August 27, 2007

Augist 26, 2007: Pueblo Solis is the Restaurant in St. Louis for Today

Pueblo Solis
5127 Hampton Ave
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone Number: 314-351-9000

For more on restaurants and bars visit www.stlstuff.com

Finally a Mexican Restaurant that did not go over the top to make it look like every other Mexican Restaurant out there. The inside is a very simple dining room with about 15 tables. The main attraction is the outside patio which has about 10 tables. This is a small little patio with an overhang, which makes it quite nice. This place surprised me. I was expecting the typical Mexican restaurant where they make the place look like a fake Mexico. This place did not do that.

At Pueblo Solis they start you out with some chips and three different salsas which change daily. This was a nice variety to what I am used to at Mexican restaurants. The waiter came by and took our drink order. I ordered a Bloody Mary and my better half ordered a strawberry margarita. The Bloody Mary wasn't the best, but what should I expect from a Mexican restaurant, but the strawberry margarita was very good. Be careful when ordering drinks here they are kind of expensive. I think it cost $7.50 for a margarita, but the Bloody Mary was only about $4.50.

The menu at Pueblo Solis was a nice surprise. It was not packed with combination platters like every other mexican restaurant in the St. Louis area. They had some items that I had never seen before at a Mexican restaurant, maybe this is because I am used to picking between 20 different combination platters. The menu did have some of the traditional favorites like tacos and enchiladas. The waiter came around and told us some of the specials and one of them was mexican meatballs served with gravy and tortillas. This sounded really good, I regret not ordering it. But, I ordered the two enchiladas because the waiter said they were a house specialty, and the other ordered a chili relleno and a burrito. The enchiladas were kind of small, filled with cheese and baked. The Chili Relleno and burrito looked great. The burrito was huge and filled with beans and cheese, and the chili relleno was a perfectly done pepper filled with cheese. All in all not a bad place to go, but it is kind of pricey and I would only be able to go every once in a while. Another thing that I noticed at this restaurant was that the food took about 20 minutes to come out, I could tell it was cooked after I ordered it. At every other Mexican restaurant I have been to the food comes out in 5 minutes or less.

Prices: $52.56 for two entrees, and four drinks. The drinks are what killed us. The place would be decent if it wasn't for the high drink prices.

No comments: