adsense

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pickles Deli is a Restaurant of Choice in St. Louis

Pickles Deli is brand new deli and sandwich shop in the Central West End. It is located at 22 North Euclid Avenue, just across from the Park East Tower and the new Park East Lofts.

Already getting rave reviews on Sauce Magazine's site, I was excited to see Pickles going in on Euclid because the West End was in need of a non-commercial sandwich place. Seeing as I'm moving into the lofts across the street, the fiancee and I can came in with high hopes - and Pickles did not disappoint. One thing that can be tough to find in the Central West End is good, quick carry-out food. We were heading over the St. Louis Symphony's outdoor concert in Forest Park, so we needed picnic food. The time for Pickles had come.

While I was expecting a little more of a Subway setup, from the second you first walk in you can tell that Pickles only serves up the freshest of meats and cheeses. They have each of them still wrapped up and waiting to be sliced just like they do at real-deal delis and grocery stores. Very, very nice.

The menu has all of your typical sandwich options, from Corned Beef or Pastrami, to a Club sandwich and a Veggie offering. I went for the Club just to give an old favorite a try in a new place. You can choose your bread from about 6-7 options (which includes Pretzel bread), and you can choose a cheese - both at apparently no extra charge than the retail price of the sandwich. The price on the Club was $7.95 and most sandwiches are in the $6-8 range.

Of course there is the obligatory chip rack, which had a nice selection of Krunchers, Jays, Sun Chips as well as all the regulars. I got to talking to the owner and what was apparently the co-owner for a few minutes - friendly and down to Earth guys. They told me the cupcakes are made fresh by the owner's sister (they looked tasty). I got to telling them that I would be moving into the area in the near future and that I'd definitely stop by.

Once we got over to FoPo and got to dig in, I was happy at what I ended up with. It's a notch above any Subway sandwich (or the like) that you can find in town. Thumbs up.

Cheap, quick, fresh. That's Pickles. Right in a convenient spot in the CWE.

No comments: