adsense

Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Fratellini is a Restaurant of Choice in St. Louis

I Fratellini is an intimate, upscale Italian restaurant in Clayton near the intersection of Hanley Rd and Wydown. It's a bit of a hidden gem, even among people that are hip on the restaurant scene in St. Louis.

I've been to I Fratellini 3 or 4 times this year and every time it has been phenomenal. On this occasion, we went down for my mom's birthday with a party of 4. The dining room is really small, meaning you better get reservations or you're going to wind up at the bar (done that) or being rushed out cause some bigwig is coming in at 8 (done that). But just get in there and get a seat cause the food is superb.

The menu offers up a nice mix of dishes you'd expect at a fine Italian restaurant and those that you're likely going to have to ask for clarification on. Antipasti options include a few versions of bruschetta, 4-5 distinct salads and some off the menu items that have always included a soup when I've visited. The soup last night was a tomato base oyster soup with various veggies and spices to accompany. Awesome. Honestly, if you ever go to I Fratellini, just order the soup without even asking. I can't remember all the combinations I've had this year but I always feel on top of the world after eating them. All these starter options run between $8 and 15, so not bad.

Entrees include a section of pasta and a section of fine meats. They do offer up more seafood options (in both sections) than you're likely to find at most St. Louis Italian spots, especially the ones on the Hill that chalk up a lot of beef and a lot of nothing else. There is a swordfish entree that comes with two swordfish steaks along with fennel and escalloped potatoes. Like most swordfish it's got a sweet lemony thing going on. The menu also features trout, a seafood linguine (scallops, shrimps, mussels, etc.), and a rotating fish option that comes baked with those finger potatoes and vegetables. Last night's was red snapper and that's what I opted for, served up in full form with the head and tail and all. While it was kind of tedious to pick through the bones, it was cooked to perfection.

You also can't go wrong with their veal chops, or, if they bring it back, the veal cannelloni. All the entrees range from $19 to upwards of $30 I believe. Simply put, it's a nice restaurant and you're going to spend about $50 a person.

I didn't get a chance to look at the wine list but I've had a littany of reds and they've all been top notch. Yes, I drink red wine with fish. I'm not 50, I'm 24. The wife usually goes for the pinot grigio / reisling, which are wines I care so little about I'm not even looking up the spelling. But they've got them. And they've got Hendrick's gin. Best f'n gin on the planet.

You will probably notice that when you walk in there is a Baskin Robbins-style freezer with gelato and ice cream at I Fratellini. So yes, the dessert menu is extensive as well. I'd recommend the blueberry dish. But it's probably impossible to go wrong.

For an intimate dinner in a high class setting, head on down to Wydown and see what the regular patrons probably wish you didn't know existed - I Fratellini. Oh and by the way, its owner also owns Zoe Pan-Asian on McPherson in the CWE. I went there a few weeks ago so I'll look to give my two cents on it in the coming days - also good.

No comments: